“The purpose of the Greater Erie Board of REALTORS®, Inc. is to enhance the ability of its members to conduct their business successfully and ethically and to promote the preservation of the right to own, transfer and use real property.”
The relationship and cooperation between REALTORS® has always been recognized as being a priority among real estate professionals in the Erie area. Credit for this goes back to the early real estate professionals who after World War II saw a need for a real estate organization that would assist them in fulfilling their real estate obligations.
The "Real Estate Board of Erie" was chartered on October 28, 1924 and recorded on January 3rd, 1925 at 8:58am. The names of the subscribers/Board of Directors were: Harper G. Smith, R.B. Way, E. J. Blakely, C. B. Hayes and L.T. Rossiter. E.J. Balkely was elected Secretary and Harry Swenson was elected as Treasurer.
On January 8, 1960 a change of jurisdiction was granted to the Board from the Pennsylvania Association of REALTORS® and the National Association of REALTORS® to encompass not only the City of Erie but all of Erie County. They then had their name changed to the Greater Erie Board of REALTORS® on November 12, 1964 and then incorporated with a name change to Greater Erie Board of REALTORS®, Inc. on April 13, 1976. On January 12th, 2016 a change of jurisdiction was granted to include Crawford County with the exception of Titusville.
The Real Estate Board of Erie had formed their own Multiple Listing System in the early 1950's. Later when the National Association of REALTORS® developed and offered a licensing agreement for the use of their MLS Service Mark, the Board signed the agreement on June 10, 1974.
In the early days, the Board was totally run by volunteers. Now a small staff of employees services over 650 members.